Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day Weekend in Miami is commonly known as an "urban weekend". This is also known as tons of traffic,congested restaurants, and more beautiful beaches that are even more crowded. I've decided to completely shy away from all of it and stay on the outskirts of Miami and immerse myself mostly in the culture of food. From Cuban to Italian to American to farmers market cuisine, I wanted it all! 

Followed by naps and a few outdoor bars lol. Considering my honey is Cuban (originally from Miami) it was very easy to know where to go to get some of the best food in the city. 
And so it begins.....

Cuban breakfast at a humble restaurant name Casa Marin located in Hialeah. I absolutely loved the food. None of the servers here spoke English and immediately looked to my boyfriend to order and pretty much ignored me most of the time....the food was amazing so I didn't care much :-)
There was this really quiet garden to sit and relax at in the front...I indulged 


I found this Cuban bakery wandering  around Miami lakes while he worked and I went off in search of a nail place for some R&R. No one here spoke English either. I managed to speak enough decent Espanol to order some pastries and an amazing ham and cheese sandwich on a croissant. I ate it way too fast to get a picture in. 


The Saturday Organic Farmers Market in Coconut Grove. Immediately I saw these for sale and said yes please. This was my first experience drinking it directly out of the coconut and I have to say it was splendid. Along with every other organic vendor here!


For dinner was a quaint and modern hideaway called Andiamos!
I remember my grandmother had these bowls when I was a child lol 
Pictured here is a Ceasar salad with fresh shaved Parmesan and meatballs topped with fresh ricotta. We split the appetizer...you'll see why momentarily.

I can't think of a time that I had a pizza made with such fresh ingredients. Of course I ordered the "New Yorker" 
Pictured on the bottom topped with fresh mozzarella,fresh basil,tomato sauce, Parmesan and Evoo. Brick oven pizza at its finest! 


The dessert was even more splendid!
White chocolate shell 
Inside was white chocolate ice cream with a chocolate gonoche in the middle. I died twice it was soooooo delicious! 


My last meal was lunch at a Cuban diner named Molinas. Reminded me of the New York diners with there extensive menus and breathtaking food. Here I am eating fried chicken with black beans and rice topped with fried pork skin with plantains.
 Also known as chicharron de pollo, moros y maduros y plantains.
Here the men in the restaurant acknowledged me and appreciated my attempt to speak un poquito Espanol ( very little Spanish) lol 

And because you can't end any Cuban meal without a cup of authentic coffee :-) Honestly this is amazing after any meal! 


Time to head home now....hence the face. 


Thanks for reading loves!!!


Comments

Popular Posts